University of Greenwich

Information for care leavers progressing to the University of Greenwich:

Who can help you from the University of Greenwich? The University of Greenwich has designated members of staff for care leavers and care-experienced students. You can contact us with any queries with any queries that you may have around both pre-entry to higher education and on course at the University of Greenwich.

Please take a look at our webpage, where you will find a video from a care leaver studying at the University of Greenwich and a leaflet that you can download which provides information on all the support available to you both pre-entry and whilst on-course. For further information, click here: Care leavers | Support | University of Greenwich

Who will help me when I am a student? We offer a 1:1 transition interview for all new students to the University of Greenwich where we provide you with information on all of the support services available to you whilst you are studying with us. These include financial, accommodation, academic and pastoral support together with the opportunity to take part in the Greenwich Friend student ambassador peer mentoring scheme.   In addition, we are also willing to meet with you pre-entry to support you and answer any questions that you might have. Staff are also available to advocate on your behalf if required.
Applications and Interviews You apply for university through UCAS (either through the main cycle or through clearing). Each course has separate entry requirements, and you will need to check the University of Greenwich and UCAS websites for more information.

Contextual admissions:
We offer special consideration to applications from care leavers of a reduction of 16 UCAS points (equivalent to two A-level grades) below the advertised entry tariff for undergraduate courses on our website (including those provided by partner colleges). For further information, eligibility and how to apply, click here: Contextual admissions | Study here | University of Greenwich

Please apply for your student loan as soon as you know you are intending to study at university and ensure that you send a letter from your local authority confirming your care leaver status. Applying early for your student finance will mean that you have access to your student maintenance loan as soon as possible when you begin your studies.

Enrolment You will need to accept your offer from the University of Greenwich through the UCAS website. We contact all applicants who have accepted places in the summer term and again in September when you start.

Induction Each programme of study offers its own induction, however, we offer a mentoring scheme specifically for care leavers which pairs 2nd and 3rd year student ambassadors with new students to help them navigate their way around campus and through their study requirements through the first weeks of university life.
Care Leaver Bursary The University of Greenwich offers a Care Leaver Bursary of £1,500 for each progressive year of study (not available for repeat years). You will need to apply for this through the University website, once you are a fully registered student, and provide a letter from your local authority confirming your status as a care leaver.
PEPs We are happy to participate in your PEP or Pathway Plan at your request.
English and Maths The majority of university courses require you to have GCSE English and Maths at ‘C’ grade or above as well as subjects studied at 6th form or college. However, you will need to check the UCAS website to clarify the educational requirements of the course you wish to study.
Progress Progress into the next year of study is through passing assignments and examinations (each course has different requirements). There is academic support available at the University of Greenwich through the Academic Skills Centres and you will be allocated a personal tutor with whom you can discuss any academic concerns that you might have.
Health & Well Being We offer a number of pastoral activities through the Student Union ranging from sports to ‘Harry Potter’ societies! You can also access Counselling, Disability and Dyslexia Support and Mental Health Support through our Well Being Team.
« Back to Partners
Contact Details

Chris Colson
Care Leaver Coordinator

Partner Links

Visit Website »