MidKent College

Information for care leavers progressing to MidKent College:

Who can help you from MidKent College? Kim Carter is the Safeguarding, Student Welfare and Counselling Manager and Designated Member of Staff for Children in Care and Care Leavers. Her role is to assess and monitor the support for Children in Care, Young Care Leavers and vulnerable young people. Paula can be contacted by email: kim.carter@midkent.ac.uk


Students can also access: Personal Development Tutoring; Student Welfare Officer support; Additional Learning Support; MidKent College Youth Worker and specialist career advice.



Who will help me when I am a student Teaching Staff: Our team of Personal Development Tutors (PDT) work on a 1:1 basis and with student groups to provide guidance and support. The PDT will act an advocate for the student, liaise with course tutors and make  connections with carers. Carers can gain access to the Personal Learning Plan (PLP) and track student


Pastoral: The Student Welfare Officer role looks at all aspects of Health and Well-being within the college and provides a central point of contact on a wide range of issues.

ALS: The Additional Learning Support service will assess needs with a Learning Disability Assessment (LDA) or Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) and puts in place appropriate support including transition arrangements.

Careers guidance: The Information Zone is the first point of contact for young people who are considering coming to college. We offer impartial careers guidance interviews, supporting young people to make decisions about the right course or training opportunity for them.



Applications and Interviews Places on some courses are limited so you are advised to submit your application early . You can however apply for a place any time up to the start of your chosen course usually September start). Admissions staff will process your application. You will usually have an interview with the tutor for your chosen course and asked to bring examples of your work. Depending on the course you are applying for, you may also be asked to take a test as part of the interview process.  If you do well in your interview you will usually be offered a place on one of our courses. This offer may be unconditional or it may be conditional.


Enrolment Once your place has been reserved, we will send details of where and when you should enrol which is usually late August.  If you receive exam results in August that do not turn out as you had hoped, if they are close to the original requirements then the offer may still stand. If not, our Admissions Office will do their best to place you on a different level course in the same subject area.


Induction In early September, you will follow a two week induction programme. You will find out about college facilities, meet staff and students and be given details of your programme. During the first 6 weeks of the first term, you may feel that the programme isn’t quite right for you, or the environment may not be best suited to meet your needs. If this is the case, you can speak to your PDT, course tutor or careers advisor to discuss this and consider other options.


Care Leaver Bursary (Vulnerable Learner Bursary) Children in Care and Care Leavers can apply for funding from the Guaranteed Bursary Fund which is £1200 for the year. This can be used to purchase essential kit, equipment, uniform, trips, books and food, and to help with travel costs on public transport. It can also be used to pay for meals whilst at College and a daily allowance will be agreed with you. To access the bursary you will need to present official proof of your status. You may wish to be accompanied by a key worker or foster parent to support you during the discussion. After putting aside a contingency, the remaining funds may be paid to you in the form of a termly allowance in arrears directly into a bank account. The College reserves the right to withdraw or reduce the award should your attendance level drop below 90%.              


PEPs PEP meetings will usually be held at MidKent College. The information recorded from the PEP will be uploaded to your ePEP where there is a section for you to complete. You will have at least 2 PEP meetings during the year at college, the first in November and the second around April.


English and Maths We are committed to helping all students achieve a Level 2 qualification in English and maths and you will be required to sit a Functional Skills or GCSE examination in English and Maths if you have not received a grade A-C in these subjects. If you have achieved these grades, you will still be required to undertake a project to improve these skills.


Progress Academic programmes are generally a mix of marked coursework and examination whereas vocational subjects involve the assessment of work standards to meet nationally agreed competency levels. All students will be given grades in October and February. The grading system sets the attainment grade and the target grade. These two targets will be set for all full-time students and be reviewed three times a year during tutorials. Student progress will be posted in their Personal Learning Plan in the last week of November and in the last week of March.


Health & Well Being MidKent College understands that sometimes students can experience difficulties and that having someone independent to talk to can help, therefore we can offer you access to the Student Health Service and also to the Counselling Service based at both campuses.


« Back to Partners
Contact Details

Kim Carter
Student Welfare and Counselling Manager
Ashley Ritchie
Assistant Principal

Partner Links

Visit Website »